Get 25% off Gut Oil when you order along with your Clef Gut Upright Bass Strings! Gut String Oil is highly recommended to extend the life of your set.
Clef Gut Upright Bass Strings are a high quality European-made gut double bass string with a classic tone and stability that is sure to last. Handcrafted gut strings are unheard of at this price point, as similar gut string sets cost upwards of $400. These double bass strings are handmade by European craftsman using only mutton serosa (sheep intestine). Mutton gives a lower tension, softer feel, and warm rich tones within the string. It is far too delicate to process by machine, and even the twisting of the strands into a string is done by hand—it’s the only way to properly judge the tension of the string.
Gary’s Thoughts: Whether you play bluegrass, rockabilly, or baroque music, you owe it to yourself to play on an full set of authentic all gut double bass strings. Or if you’re a jazz player looking for that classic “Paul Chambers” tone, these Clef Gut Upright Bass Strings are for you.
- Highest quality gut string for the price
- Lower tension is easy to play
- Great old school sound
- String Diameter (in millimeters): E 4.5, A 3.7, D 2.8, G 2.1
- Please note: these dimensions are for uninstalled Clef Gut strings. Strings may thin under tension. If you are moving from a light gauge steel string to a larger gauge gut string, modifications to the bridge and nut may be necessary to accommodate the larger string diameter.
- Clef Musical Manufacturing Corporation imports these fantastic double bass gut strings at a great price. However, due to changing global markets, we have seen increases in the cost of our gut strings over the years. Although this is unfortunate, Clef Gut Upright Bass Strings are still an outstanding quality gut string at a modest price.
Upton Bass String Instrument Co. specializes in building award-winning custom double basses and offers accessories for the double bass. Upton Bass also services all instruments and bows of the violin family with world class restoration and repair, to view our online restoration portfolio visit stringrepair.com
Upton Bass is ready to offer advice and answer any questions regarding double basses or related bass topics. Please contact UB at email@example.com or call the shop at +1 (860) 535-9399. Hours of operation Tuesday through Saturday 10am – 6pm. The Workshop (The Barn) and showroom are located in Mystic, Connecticut conveniently between Boston and NYC.