Thomastik Spirocore S42 Double Bass Strings are THE classic jazz double bass string. Constructed with a flexible multi-wire spiral steel core, Spirocores have a greater elasticity than that of conventional strings, which means less inertia and a higher propensity to musical vibration (think growly). The sound is full and homogenous, balanced and voluminous. They are highly responsive, long lasting strings that are legendary for their great sustain, distinctive tone, and playability. Although Spirocores are best known as a pizzicato or jazz string, they are labelled a hybrid set. When bowed, the tone is bright but leaves little room for error. We’ve heard Spirocores being described as unbowable, but they were the string choice for the bass section of the Vienna Symphony for many years, so we’ll leave that to you to decide.
Thomastik Spirocore Double Bass Strings are available in four distinctive sets and several gauge options. PLEASE MAKE YOUR SELECTION IN THE CUSTOMIZATION TAB ABOVE BEFORE ADDING THE ITEM TO YOUR CART.
- Spirocore S42: An orchestra tuned set (E-A-D-G) available in Light/Weich, Medium/Mittel, and Heavy/Stark. The “classic” Spirocore set, these strings were developed for larger basses but have been used (and loved) by players with standard or shorter-scaled basses (3/4 or 4/4).
- Spirocore 3885.0: An orchestra tuned set (E-A-D-G) available in Light/Weich and Medium/Mittel. These strings have been calibrated to satisfy the express wish of many orchestral artists and jazz players with double basses that have a shorter string length (¾).
- Spirocore S43: A solo set (F-Bb-Eb-Ab), available in Medium/Mittel. These strings are just like the S42 set, but made for solo tuning.
- Spirocore 3886.0: A solo set (F-Bb-Eb-Ab), available in Medium/Mittel. These strings are just like the 3885.0 set, but made for solo tuning.
- Spirocore S42 Individual Strings can be purchased here!
Gary’s Thoughts: Thomastik Spirocore S42 Double Bass Strings are the original classic jazz string, for that quintessential Ray Brown sound…Ray Brown not included. They are developed for a bass with a longer string length (7/8), but using the longer string length on a shorter scaled bass gives us that nice easy to play growly string. If you are looking for a tighter/higher tension string (shorter length, 3/4), try the Spirocore 3885.0. These strings “feel” a bit harder to play. Medium gauge is recommended for most players, but if you are unsure which gauge or length is for you, please contact us.
Upton Bass is a double bass specialty company located in Mystic, Connecticut. We are ready to offer advice and answer any questions you have regarding your double bass, strings for your double bass, or related topics. Any questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our shop at (860) 535-9399. Our hours of operation are Tuesday through Saturday 10 am – 6 pm.