In 1987 Irving Sloane patented a new design for classical guitar tuning machines, to eliminate gear backlash. He designed the machines to look better and work better than any others. Soon afterwards he utilized his wealth of knowledge and redesigned these patented machines for the string bass.
The central aspect of the patent is the built-in handle tensioning system. The system is a simple nut and washer assembly at the base of the handle that not only allows for variable “feel” while tuning but also for quick and inexpensive handle replacement. But there is so much more to the Irving Sloane Bass Tuning Machines:
Irving Sloane Bass Tuning Machine Features:
- Cast Bronze with stainless steel worm gear
- Fine tooth Gearing (50:1) is precision-tooled for exceptional smoothness and accuracy
- Patented construction allows easy adjustments of key tension to equalize all four strings
- Available handle styles: Original “Cello,” English “Baker,” Italian “Winged” and Venetian “Key” styles. These handles are easily interchangeable.
- Available with two different core materials: brass or lightweight aluminum.
Set of Four: $560.00
Set of Five: $695.00
Please note: Antiqued finish available at additional charge
Upton Bass String Instrument Co. specializes in building award-winning custom double basses and offers accessories for the double bass. Upton Bass also services all instruments and bows of the violin family with world-class restoration and repair, to view our online restoration portfolio visit stringrepair.com
Upton Bass is ready to offer advice and answer any questions regarding double basses or related bass topics. Please contact UB at email@example.com or call the shop at +1 (860) 535-9399. Hours of operation Tuesday through Saturday 10 am – 6 pm. The Workshop (The Barn) and showroom are located in Mystic, Connecticut conveniently between Boston and NYC.