Get 25% off Gut Oil when you order along with your Clef Gut Jazz Bass Strings! Gut String Oil is highly recommended to extend the life of your set.
Clef Gut Jazz Bass Strings are a high quality European-made gut double bass string with a classic tone and stability that is sure to last. These strings are similar to Clef Gut Upright Bass Strings, but the A and E strings are silver wound, while the G and D strings remain a plain unwound gut. Handcrafted gut strings are unheard of at this price point, as similar gut string sets cost upwards of $400. These double bass strings are handmade by European craftsman using only mutton serosa (sheep intestine). Mutton gives a lower tension, softer feel, and warm rich tones within the string. It is far too delicate to process by machine, and even the twisting of the strands into a string is done by hand—it’s the only way to properly judge the tension of the string. Clef Gut Jazz Bass Double Bass Strings are available in full sets only.
Gary’s Thoughts: Our customers have been loving these Clef Gut Jazz Bass Strings for years. The lowest strings have a nicely distinct but warm tone, and the silver windings help to achieve the mass necessary for the lower notes. This means that your bass will have more fundamental on the low end without the larger diameter.
Jack’s Thoughts: A great set of strings; good for any rockabilly, blues, jazz, or other old style sound. The lower tension on this set makes a nice “playable” choice for those with a more aggressive style.
As gut strings are a natural product, time of usefulness is an unknown. Weather, pH of user, care, musical style, etc. can all diminish longevity. We’ve heard of breaking after 30-60 days and we’ve heard of them lasting years. Our Jack Hanlon’s are quite old, but he’s religious about oiling them.
- Highest quality gut string for the price
- Lower tension is easy to play
- Wound strings make for a well-balanced set
- E = 2.8mm .111″ A=2.3mm .092″ D=2.7mm .107″ G=2.08mm .082″
- Please note: these dimensions are for uninstalled Clef Gut strings. Strings may thin under tension.
- Clef Musical Manufacturing Corporation, a division of Upton Bass, imports these fantastic double bass gut strings at a great price. However, due to changing global markets, we seen increases in the cost of our gut strings over the years. Although this is unfortunate, Clef Gut Jazz Bass Strings are still an outstanding quality gut string at a modest price.
Upton Bass String Instrument Co. specializes in building award-winning custom double basses and offers accessories for the double bass. Upton Bass also services all instruments and bows of the violin family with world class restoration and repair, to view our online restoration portfolio visit stringrepair.com
Upton Bass is ready to offer advice and answer any questions regarding double basses or related bass topics. Please contact UB at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the shop at +1 (860) 535-9399. Hours of operation Tuesday through Saturday 10am – 6pm. The Workshop (The Barn) and showroom are located in Mystic, Connecticut conveniently between Boston and NYC.